The purpose of this article is just to make sure that the best online data backup services or Best CrashPlan Alternatives are talked about in detail with their features highlighted.
There is no denying that the concept of backing up all of your data has become famous. Whether you are talking on a corporate level or just backing the data of your own computer, it is important because your data is too.
in my opinion, the best way to backup your data is cloud solutions, and with countless cloud solutions available on the market, this has become much easier. For those in search of a good cloud solution, CrashPlan is a great option available to the users.
But not everyone can afford the expensive options that are being offered by CrashPlan, while others are simply looking for a good alternative. That is why I have prepared a list of the best CrashPlan alternatives you can find for all your backup and cloud woes.
The Benefits of Cloud Solutions
I cannot count the number of times somewhat had asked me to tell them about all the benefits of cloud solutions. There are countless benefits that apply to various people who are in the market. Whether you are a business owner or someone who just has a lot of important files that he or she does not want to lose, cloud solutions are the modern day way to go.
Below are some of the benefits of cloud solutions that you should check out.
Backs Up All Your Data
With a proper cloud solution in place, you will not have to worry about losing your data to calamities that come without a warning. Sure, it might be difficult for you to understand it in the first place, but simply invest in a good backup solution, and let it run all the time.
You will have the peace of mind that your data is being backed up to a location that is secure, and will not be accessed without your permission. It is the way to go in the modern day and age where people want to have their data secure.
Provides Advance Security
I have seen many people talk about how cloud solutions are not safe, and never can be. That is not true anymore; sure, in the old days there was not much security, but back then, there were not many users.
Ever since the majority of userbase shifted over to the cloud solutions, the focus on security increased as well. For starters, most of the cloud solutions nowadays are providing 256-bit AES encryption, that works on an end-to-end basis.
So, yes, keeping that in mind, if security is something you are looking for, then cloud solutions is the way to go for all your backing up of important and even sensitive data.
10 Best CrashPlan Alternatives 2018
10 best alternatives to CrashPlan for 2018 are talked about in detail with their features highlighted.
The first alternative to CrashPlan is the CloudBerry Backup, I only recently tested it, and found it promising due to several reasons. For starters, you get a huge selection of cloud providers to choose from, and the default client is simple, intuitive, and easy to use.
For those worried about their data, the software supports 256-bit AES encryption, a backup system based on the image, and ability to create local, cloud, or hybrid backups. In addition to that, it can restore data to different virtual machines as well, and the restoration process is super easy.
- The software only has a one-time payment.
- Runs on a majority of operating systems without any issue.
The biggest pro is that the software only requires one-time payment, meaning that you will not be needing to pay for the subscription after months. The downside is that the software there is no included storage, and there is no centralized management system for the software.
- The software is simple and easy to use.
- A large number of cloud providers are offered.
- Runs on a majority of operating systems.
- You only have to pay once.
- There is no centralized software for managing.
- Storage has to be purchased separately.
The next CrashPlan alternative on the list is IDrive, and no, the software has nothing to do with Apple. IDrive caught my attention after I went and checked the attractive pricing option. I quickly decided to give it a try, and have not been disappointed ever since.
IDrive lets the user have an unlimited device backup, with storage plans that are inexpensive even for people who do not want to spend a lot of money. You can backup files from iOS and Android. Some of the main features are highlighted below.
- Social media backup.
- Private encryption.
- Social media backup.
For many, IDrive is the perfect solution, and while the shortcomings are there, like somewhat complicated user experience, and lack of two-factor authentication, but you also have to consider the cheap price.
- Can backup your data from multiple sources.
- There is no limit on device backup.
- Provides backup for Android as well as iOS.
- Variety of pricing option, making it easier for everyone.
- The software is a bit difficult to use.
- Two-factor authentication is missing.
The last alternative for CrashPlan on my list is Backblaze, one of the most famous cloud solutions available in the market. CrashPlan is definitely among the top on my list because of how amazing it is, and how it has developed into one of the leading cloud solutions available in the market.
The good thing about Backblaze is that at just $5 a month, you get unlimited storage and backup. You can easily access the files using your mobile, the software provides 128-bit AES encryption as well as two-factor authentication for added security. The software also has no bandwidth throttling, meaning that your experience will remain as refined as possible.
- The software has no limit on backup.
- Offers cheap cloud solution.
- Supports multi-threaded backup for the fast and easy backup.
- Does not require deep knowledge of how the cloud solutions work.
There is no denying that Backblaze is actually an amazing cloud solution with more features than many of you might need in the first place. However, it is good, because people who consider themselves power users are definitely going to take advantage of everything the software has to offer.
- The software provides plenty of features for everyone.
- The cloud solution is as cheap as it can get.
- You can use the software on multiple platforms.
- Unlimited backup is a great thing to have.
- The software is only limited to one computer.
- The encryption is not end-to-end.
Carbonite is another great online data backup service like CrashPlan for cloud backup solution for those who are looking for one. The backup solution provides unlimited backup for those who want, and you can even backup your external hard disk drive, or your photos.
The company provides courier recovery service as well. Users also get the chance to backup through file types, so far instance, if you do not intend to copy certain files, you can simply choose the file type from the extension list, and only backup specific files.
The way this gives benefit is that if you only want to backup your document files, you can do so while skipping the rest of the files.
- Provides unlimited backup.
- The company offers courier recovery service.
In conclusion, Carbonite is a great solution, but it is marred by some drawbacks. For starters, the backing up process is slow and does not properly rely on faster internet connection. This results in backup taking a long time.
- Unlimited backup plan.
- Users can backup by file type.
- You can backup your photos as well as your external hard drive.
- The process of backing up is slow.
- There is no plan for monthly subscriptions.
The next cloud solution on my list is Duplicati. The thing I love most about this cloud service is the fact that it is built around open-source, and the source code is available to the public on GitHub.
Considering the open source nature, the good thing is that Duplicati is completely free as compared to CrashPlan or some other offerings. However, that does not mean it lacks features, or not secure for some reason. As a matter of fact, Duplicati offers a lot of security options.
- Multiple backup options.
- Works on several platforms including Linux.
- Is completely free.
Using Duplicati is a treat, considering how it is an open source client, you get loads of options with every update, and nothing ever breaks when it comes to features or functionality. I really could not find something wrong with the software.
- The software is completely free.
- Supports various platforms.
- Has a lot of good options for common, and power users.
- Not many people are aware of this solution.
Acronis True Image
Acronis True Image is another nice cloud solution like CrashPlan that I have had a pleasure of testing. Right after setting it up, the one thing you will admire straightaway is how simple the whole interface is. Everything is self-explanatory, and even an amateur could find his or her way around the software.
The software serves as a great alternative for CrashPlan, however, it does require at least half a gigabyte of storage space in your drive for proper installation as it does copy all the files at once.
- Provides an interface that is clean and uncluttered.
- Offers various value-added services aside from just the backup plan.
- Is easy to use and understand.
I really admire how Acronis True Image is shedding a positive light on cloud solutions by introducing features that actually matter and making the user experience much easier for people who are trying out the software for the first time.
- Excellent intuitive user interface.
- Has so many different services.
- Focuses on security as well.
- Supports various platforms including iOS and Android.
- The starting price might be steep.
For some, the name SpiderOakONE might be confusing or irrelevant, but in reality, the software is good when it comes to providing cloud solutions to its customers. For starters, you are getting access to features such as the ability to backup to unlimited computers, a plethora of file sharing options, and the ability to have a command line option.
Users also get a comparatively good backup speed but keep in mind that the relying process on your internet is still there.
- Ability to back up to unlimited computers.
- Great encryption options.
- You can sync files across multiple computers.
In short, the SpiderOakONE is definitely a great cloud solution and also a great alternative to CrashPlan. It might not have some features such as support for NAS backup, or mobile backup, but it makes it up for the missing features by providing excellent service.
- Provides excellent user experience.
- You can backup unlimited computers.
- The upload speed is good.
- The software also offers private encryption.
- Does not have support for mobile operating systems.
- Can’t perform NAS backup.
ElephantDrive is a cloud solution service like CrashPlan that serves to help people who don’t want to spend a lot of money on expensive cloud solutions. Especially when they do not have a lot of files to backup in the first place. That is why ElephantDrive offers free 2GB storage for people who are not going to have a lot to upgrade.
For those who want more, the Pro version starts from $9.95 a month which is not bad by any means considering how there are other cloud solutions that are much more expensive. The platform supports extend to Linux, MacOS, NAS, Android, and even iOS aside from Windows.
- Supports almost all the operating systems.
- Offers free 2 GB storage that can be upgraded to Pro anytime you want.
- The interface is easy to understand and use.
Users also get security options including the 256-bit AES encryption. The software stores the files at multiple locations, ensuring that in case of losing your data, the loss can easily be sustained and prevented.
One of the biggest strengths of ElephantDrive is also a big weakness; for starters, the interface is incredibly simple to understand, however, at the same time, it also looks severely outdated. Creating a rift among the person using the software.
- One of the most affordable cloud solutions.
- Simplest interface.
- Has a lot of security-oriented features.
- Supports almost all the platforms.
- The interface is too simple for its own good.
So far I have been looking at cloud solutions that serve as good alternatives to CrashPlan while retaining the same working methodology. There is not a lot that can differentiate these cloud solutions. However, things are different with Resilio Sync as apart from being just another brick in the wall, it is more commonly known as a cloud sharing software.
For everyone who is looking to back up smaller files, it is a great alternative because in many ways, it can work better than the other options you have available. Once you start using the program, you can backup your file, get a sync key, and then use that key on other computers so you can view, and use the files on the different computer without any issue. This goes for both using the files yourself and giving someone else access.
- Offers unique cloud sharing capabilities.
- Is still as capable many of the hard hitters.
- Is available on multiple platforms.
I really like what Resilio Sync delivers. It is definitely among my favorite cloud solutions, however, I have to talk about the fact that it is somewhat expensive for a software that dares to be different. You do get a 14-day trial, but if you want to be able to fully utilize the software, you are going to have to pay $59.99 for the pro version. The pro version requires a one-time payment but is still considered expensive by many
- Offers a unique take on cloud solutions.
- The software is very easy to understand.
- Really good for people who want to back up smaller files.
- Runs on all the modern platforms.
- The pro version is definitely on the steeper side for many people.
Although cloud solutions have been around for some time now in the market, not many people are using them for one reason or another. The good thing is that cloud computing is slowly becoming cheaper, and because of that, the awareness level is also increasing and more people are trying the solutions.
At the given moment, the list covers some of the best cloud solutions as the best CrashPlan alternatives available in the market. Whether you are using them for your personal use or going to use them for small, and even larger businesses, these cloud solutions will provide you an ease of access and peace of mind as far as your files are concerned.