A lot of people may think of it as a comparison guide, but it is not. The purpose of this article is just to make sure that the best iTunes alternatives for Windows, Mac, and Linux are talked about in detail with their features highlighted.
While iTunes would be the first and last choice for the majority of users that want to sync their audio and video content to their devices in an organized fashion, it is all about that personal preference.
For some, iTunes does not serve as their ‘go to’ software due to several reasons, but there are tons of best iTunes substitute available and the greatest thing about these programs is that you will not have to pay a single cent to start using them.
Best Alternatives to iTunes For Windows, Mac & Linux
This list will help the readers make the right decision when choosing the right iTunes alternative; they want to listen to music on. Each substitute has a distinct set of features, making them somewhat different than each other.
1. MusicBee – Most Popular iTunes Replacement For Windows
MusicBee is going to be our very first pick and there is no hidden truth behind this choice as this happens to be a feature-enriched music player and provides more on the table than other alternatives to iTunes installed on your computer. It acts as more of a tool than a music player because it allows you to organize and manage your music library better.
One of the best things about using the application is that it will save you time and import your entire music collection from iTunes while giving you the flexibility to specify where to place these files and in which folders. When it comes to the user interface, It is as seamless as it gets and it also offers customization in terms of screen layout while using different skins.
When it comes to the user interface, It is as seamless as it gets and it also offers customization in terms of screen layout while using different skins.
In this way, you will be able to access music the way you see fit and make the interface look good simultaneously. If you wanted to adjust your music, there is also a 15-band equalizer, but we recommend leaving this feature alone unless of course you really know what you’re doing.
If there was one gripe, it would be that MusicBee is not available on macOS. Sure, looking at how many Windows 10 users there are in the world, it would make sense not to provide support for Apple’s desktop operating system but it goes without saying that whether you love macOS or hate it, it still has its place in this world and we hope that a dedicated application is released for it soon.
- Immediately imports music library from iTunes
- Highly customizable
- Labels tracks for easier access
- Seamless user interface
- Only available for Windows
2. WinX MediaTrans
Another great iTunes alternative is called WinX MediaTrans and there are several things about it that raises the bar when you’re looking for something other than iTunes. Performance is one of them.
Remember, on systems running low-end hardware, iTunes will pretty much cripple its performance. With MediaTrans the experience is going to be the complete opposite.
Its user interface has been made to near perfection, with ease of use at an unparalleled level. You also don’t need to have iTunes pre-installed on your computer in order to get this running. Just install and get started straight away.
You can transfer photos, videos, and music-related items from your iPhone to Windows. Apart from this, there is also a ringtone maker and video converter pre-loaded.
The best part is that MediaTrans comes with the number of iOS files you can transfer daily. Fortunately, MediaTrans renews these numbers daily so that it is able to keep its user base healthy.
In all honesty, if you were looking to replace iTunes, then you’ve come to the right place and if you want unlimited file transfers, we highly recommend that you pay for it.
- Sync your music and other files without having iTunes installed, it is that simple
- Very easy user-interface that you will get used to in a matter of minutes
- Built-in video converter and ringtone maker
- Performance is very impressive even for those machines running low-end hardware
- Only available for Windows
If you want a music player that offers wide platform support than look no further than Clementine as it is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux. While there are useful features such as advanced tagging plus support for mobile devices, it is not the most attractive of music players available that come without a charge.
In fact, it has one of the least attractive user interfaces in the category of freebies, but if you can get around this little complaint, then we see no reason why this will not be able to become your iTunes replacement.
Clementine also provides support for things like ripping, extensive library management and the ability to copy music to a variety of supported devices so if you do not have a problem with ugly-looking interfaces, this should become your daily driver.
- Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux
- Major support for mobile phones
- Ability to listen to radios, podcasts and more
- Stream your music using cloud storage
- Very lackluster design
- User interface could be improved slightly to make it easier for the average user
Do you have an Android device and love to customize the bejesus out of it? If yes, then you will definitely love foobar2000 if you’re looking for the next iTunes alternative. When you launch the application for the very first time, its initial black and white appearance might put you off, but once you get around to using it, that is where the real fun begins.
foobar2000 is made strictly for those that enjoy customizing user interfaces to its maximum capabilities but aside from this, there are lots of other features that you will appreciate when using the application. This will range from a wide audio format support, as well as plugins for when you want to make your music playback experience completely effortless.
Just do not be intimidated when you run the application for the first time.
- Catered for those who love customizations
- Several plugins for just about anything
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts
- Wide range of audio format support
- It might appear extremely basic when you fire it up for the first time
- Extreme levels of customization might end up confusing users
Though this app is only made for macOS and iOS, its different yet fundamentally easy interface will make it a breeze to use for several users. It will import your entire iTunes library and for an effective alternative, it also provides support for connecting social media networks such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Connecting the program to Facebook and Twitter is very simple
- Dedicated iOS app will replace the native music player
- Automatically detects and updates your music library via iTunes
- Unique interface makes it easy to use
- There is only support for Mac and iOS
- Getting used to a different interface might be something users are not prepared for
PodTrans keeps everything simple and is still able to provide a very good software experience for those looking for an iTunes alternative. The simplistic design will also explain why you are able to copy music between your computer and to your iPhone or different iOS devices in a very easy manner.
Unfortunately, using free software does come at a price and while PodTrans will serve as a decent replacement for iTunes, there are more options available at your fingertips when you start to use the paid version. If you are willing to spend the extra money for better music management, that is going to be your call. If not, then our list will continue.
- Simple design will make it easier to use for first timers
- Easy-to-use interface will waste less time
- Provides simple and seamless music management
- Available for both PC and macOS
- Paid version delivers better flexibility for file synching
- Paid version also provides support for better phone management options
MediaMonkey is another powerful media management suite that intends to reduce your dependency on iTunes and here is how. Apart from bringing your music and video collection together, you will also be able to find missing track information so that you are able to keep up to date on which tracks you’ll be listening to. Before you ask, this will also include album art. Check out our list of best video players.
One thing that MediaMonkey features that the majority of other tools do not is support for the FLAC audio format plus a plethora of others. Music can automatically be synced to your iPhone, iPad and a variety of other devices so if you feel comfortable using this program, there is no reason why you should not remove the other software from your storage.
- Cleaning out duplicate files is a lot easier
- Your playlists will be built according to what you listen to
- Features the FLAC audio format, which is something other players do not provide
- Sync to other devices in addition to iPhone and iPad devices
- Only available for Windows
- ‘Gold’ or paid version will present additional features, forcing users to pay extra money
As the name might suggest, SynciOS is going to be your weapon of choice when you want to manage synched content for your iOS devices. In case you have not attempted to use this, it has every feature you can find on a hardcore music management suite.
If you thought media transfer was the only thing in its repertoire of features, prepared to be astounded, as you can back up device content, and sync a ton of items such as wallpapers, ringtones, books, photos, music, videos, and more. While it will only be available for Windows, this freeware is only downloaded as a free version, negating the need to use a paid version at all.
- Media transfer can take place both ways
- You can backup your content
- You can sync pretty much anything ranging from wallpapers, books, images, videos, music and more
- There is no paid version for SynciOS
- Only available for Windows
Tomahawk appears more as a social network than a media management suite. In short, there are lots of features that will make this a worthy alternative to iTunes. Streaming services ranging from YouTube and Spotify are available but you will still have to opt for the premium plan in order to use these.
One feature that does stand out when using Tomahawk is wide-range compatibility. At present, the software provides support for a total of four operating systems, although the surprising thing is that there is no version for iOS available on the website.
- Keeps everything in one place
- Supports a ton of streaming services such as YouTube, Spotify and more
- Can be used as a social tool such that is similar to Hatchet
- Create custom stations and see what your friends are playing
- Available, for Windows, macOS, Linux, and Android
- To use some features, you will have to use a premium service, and that will cost money
- No iOS support
doubleTwist certainly accompanies a fair share of differences when you compare the different free software listed above. Not only does it provide support for Mac, Windows, and Android, but your media library will be kept in sync as long as you have an active and working internet connection in check.
There are tons of advanced features that come with this software but if you want to experience everything on the table, we highly recommend that you get the paid version.
- Available for macOS, Windows, and Android
- Extremely reliable software if you are using a Mac or Android device
- You can effortlessly sync iTunes playlists using this software
- Enjoy music through cloud services such as Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive
- Lack of iOS support
- Paid version will deliver several features not present in freeware
11. Wondershare TunesGo
Wondershare TunesGo is also a popular name in the universe of music players. It will allow you to import your entire music library from your iPhone or any other device that is running iOS. You can import this music library to your computer instead of the traditional way of doing things on iTunes, which makes this software so special.
However, there is one feature that raises the bar when users are looking for a free iTunes alternative. Wondershare TunesGo also provides support for direct syncing of iTunes media library with an Android device and that is definitely something that iTunes is unable to pull off.
Wondershare TunesGo is available for both Windows and macOS users but the caveat here is that you will have to start paying for the software after the trial version has expired on Apple’s desktop operating system.
- Fairly capable music player for the free version
- Available for both macOS and Windows
- Being able to sync music library with an Android device
- Paid version will give you access to features not present in the free version
- More expensive than the competitors
- Smart Playlists are restricted to modify
- Different Playlist formats can’t be imported
- Mac users will have no choice but to use paid version after trial period has ended
There is something for everybody when using the aforementioned iTunes alternatives. While not every single software will serve your purpose, it all boils down to a personal preference so we recommend you to try each one of them and let us know which one was your favorite down in the comments. In case you’re using the best iTunes alternative which isn’t listed here, we’d love to hear from you via the comments section.