Screen recording is a feature that is still not natively available on Windows. Though, luckily, thanks to the best screen recorder for windows, it is no longer an issue.
There are many free screen recording softwares available on the internet to aid you into showing off your screen.
You can even go ahead and use these softwares to record your video gaming sessions, and take screenshots without pressing the “Print Screen” button, and then use MS Paint to get the screenshot you have just taken.
Best Free Screen Recorders For Windows 10/8/7
Below are the ten best free screen capture softwares for Windows. Although it isn’t a comparison guide but to make sure the best screen recorders for Windows 10/8/7 are discussed in details along with their pros and cons.
OBS Studio – Best Screen Recorder For Gamers
OBS Studio is the fan favourite for many people; whether you are talking about a professional YouTuber or someone who just likes to record videos. OBS has been around for some time and has not stopped making fans.
The video screen recorder is free of cost, and on top of that, it is also open source. I love softwares that are open source; it goes to show that the developer wants to be transparent, and allow others to benefit from their tech.
Setting it up is indeed something that is overwhelming, especially if this is your first time with OBS. Thankfully, once it is set up, things become clear.
- The software comes packed with gamer-centric features.
- Allows you to stream directly to Twitch and other services.
- You can save high-quality recordings with no issue.
It is evident that OBS Studio is mainly for the gamers. However, the good thing is that a vast majority of users who do not game but still want the best recording experience can use OBS with ease. Just make sure you set it up correctly.
- Allows the user to stream content in HD, and even record it.
- There are no limits on the video length.
- Installing it can be a bit tricky.
EZVID – Best Free Video Screen Capture Software
If you are looking for software that can let you record videos with just a click of a button, then the EZVID is perfect for you. However, it does not end there; EZVID is also an excellent software for the YouTubers who prefer quick content upload.
The software lets you upload videos straight to YouTube as soon as you are done recording them. The software can be great for people who like to post tutorials, or gaming videos on YouTube as EZVID makes everything much more straightforward. There are some handful features listed below.
- There are some handful features listed below.
- EZVID comes with built-in video editor.
- It is free of cost.
- EZVID allows direct upload to YouTube.
- Software supports a majority of operating system versions.
These features are the equivalent of scratching the surface as EZVID makes editing videos, recording screen, and uploading a lot more comfortable than most of the tools available on the market.
You also get support for Windows XP, as well as all the other versions that are out there.
EZVID is undoubtedly one of the best free screen recorders that are available for downloading right now.
- Really easy for the beginners.
- Comes with built-in editor tools.
- Export feature is only for YouTube.
If you want a simple, no-frills screen recording and screen capture, then TinyTake is a handy screen recorder for windows that you can choose.
It does not have a lot of advanced features, and it is probably not for gamers. The list of features is simple, and practical at best.
Now keep in mind that TinyTake is entirely free, but there are some limitations. For starters, the software does not put watermarks on your videos. However, you are only limited to 5 minutes of screen recording.
- The software offers 5 minutes of high-quality screen recording with no watermark.
- Gives you 2 GB of cloud storage space for efficiently storing your records.
- Ability to directly export your video to YouTube.
- The software offers webcam capture as well.
The software may not be the best length for a lot of people, but it is enough if you are making YouTube tutorials.
Once you are done with the recording, you can export it to your hard drive, YouTube, or you can use TinyTake’s cloud storage, you get 2 GB of storage for easy access.
- Offers one-click recording.
- Gives cloud storage to the user.
- Not good enough for gamers.
If you are a user who does not require advanced features and just wants to have a smooth screen capturing, or recording feature, then the CamStudio is a great option that you can choose.
It is a free screen recorder that can be downloaded right away and happens to be simple as it gets.
Now the important thing here is to know that it does not come with a lot of features, to begin with, making the CamStudio one of the most straightforward screen recorders for windows.
However, it does not mean the software itself is not good. It works real and still does have some features that make it stand out.
- You can hide your cursor from the screen during recording.
- If you wish, the software allows you to get audio from multiple sources.
True, the feature list is not as extensive as some people would want, but the purpose of CamStudio is to provide simplicity and become join the list as one of the best screen recorders in the market.
- Allows you to add screen captions.
- Can record picture-in-picture with the webcam.
- Can create a bug.
Yes, I understand how Webinaria is a strange and unconventional name for a screen recorder, but it is what it is. For anyone who loves open source software, Webinaria is the best choice for people. It is entirely free and offers both screen recording and screen capture.
However, unlike some of the other free screen recorder softwares in the market, Webinaria records videos in flash format rather than the more standard formats that have become the norm. It does allow voice over feature so you can record your voice if the need arises.
- The software is entirely open source.
- The software offers screen recording with FLV format.
- Can also do screen captures for screenshots.
- Comes with a feature to record commentary or do voice-overs.
Webinaria is undoubtedly on the dull side, but you cannot deny that the software has simplicity, and effectiveness in the things it is made for doing.
You are not going to get the top of the line features, and advanced options.
You are going to get a straightforward, and simple to use interface and just the necessary amount of features.
- It is easy and simple to use.
- Does not require many resources.
- Completely open source.
- Only records in FLV format.
Majority of screen recording softwares are only there to provide you with the essential functions. Screen recording is their primary goal. ActivePresenter is aiming to be different; as the name suggests, this free screen recorder is for people who prefer to go presentations a lot or want to make their videos interactive.
Interactive videos have become a lot more popular in the modern day and age, thanks to companies like Apple and Samsung making use of them in their keynotes, and presentations.
The ActivePresenter brings that feature, along with a slew of others to the mainstream features.
- Allows the user to add interactive elements in videos and pictures.
- The software comes with the support for SCORM compliant Learning Management System.
Apart from the highlight features, the ActivePresenter comes with other features that user can take advantage of as well.
The screen recorder is available in 3 versions; you can choose from free, standard, and professional based on your needs.
The ActivePresenter is different, but it does not stop it from becoming one of the best screen records for windows available in the market.
- Great for tutorials, and educational recordings.
- A lot of features, making it a treat to use.
- Is completely free.
- Might not be useful for other purposes.
Camtasia Studio – Best Screen Recorder For Professionals
I know Camtasia Studio as one of the best video recorders for windows of Mac OS. It has been a top choice for years, and there are several reasons behind that.
It is fleshed out and offers an experience unlike any other. You do not have to be afraid of lousy controls or bugs because there are none.
Plus, the software gets constant updates from the developers. Unlike some of the previous offerings, the Camtasia Studio is not a free recorder. However, I can assure you that it is worth every penny that you will spend on it. There is a ton of features available in the software, with some listed below.
However, I can assure you that it is worth every penny that you will spend on it. There is a ton of features available in the software, with some listed below.
- Camtasia allows you to apply animations, texts, or icons to whatever you capture.
- The software simplifies video editing and screen recording to their core.
- Will enable you to add lower thirds, or slides to make your videos look better and more professional.
- Full hardware acceleration takes advantage of the powerful hardware.
Camtasia Studio is a screen recorder for windows that many professionals use. It might be a bit hard to grasp in the beginning, but the more you use it, the more accustomed you will grow.
- Offers hardware acceleration.
- Gives you the green screen effect.
- Can be integrated with Google Drive.
- No free version.
Smartpixel – Best Screen Recorder For Windows
The second last screen recorder on our list is the Smartpixel; a screen recorder that comes in both free version, and a paid license that will run you $70 for life. There are a lot of things that I like about the Smartpixel. It is not your ordinary, feature-less screen recorder; there are a ton of features included.
It is not your ordinary, feature-less screen recorder; there are a ton of features included.
Smartpixel is primarily for gamers who like to record while they are gaming; it has a lot of gamer-oriented features.
The best part is that it does not take up a lot of resources, making it overall better for gamers because your CPU will not be under additional load.
- Smartpixel allows you to edit videos, and add subtitles.
- Easy to use with intuitive UI.
- The software comes with a free version but with limitations.
Yes, you can use the free version as a trial to see whether or not you like it; it all depends on you. Overall, Smartpixel works well and is one of the best screen recorders for windows.
- Records videos in HD without compromising the disk space.
- Offers picture-in-picture mode.
- Records in a higher frame rate.
- There is no multi-language support at the moment.
Screenflow – Free Screen Capture Program For Windows
Screenflow is another beautiful screen recorder that is gracing our list. Available in both free and premium versions, this screen recorder is an excellent option for anyone looking for a great screen capture software.
Now the most significant limitation of the free version is that the videos are going to be with a watermark.
However, spending money and buying the software will get rid of that issue. The ScreenFlow allows editing the videos once you are done recording them.
In addition to that, the software also supports closed captioning of the screen recordings that you will take.
- Ability to export videos in different formats.
- You can edit videos after recording them.
- Use closed captioning for your recorded videos.
The watermark can be a letdown for some people, but it does not hide the fact that ScreenFlow is a fantastic video recorder for windows. It is only going to make your overall user experience a lot better.
- Allows editing once the recording is done.
- You can close caption your videos.
- The free version does not have a time limit.
- Videos recorded on the free version are watermarked.
Icecream Screen Recorder
I will not deny that ice cream screen recorder is perhaps one of the weirdest names I have heard for a screen recording software. However, I am not here to judge these programs based on their names.
Behind this juvenile name, there lies a great screen recorder that can get the job done really well. It is made for people who prefer simplicity over anything else. The entire user interface is really intuitive, and easy to use.
- Allows easy capture without making things complicated.
- Gives multiple formats to choose from.
- One of the simplest user interface.
While the name is certainly odd, the good thing about Icecream screen recorder is that it is one of the refined screen records that are available in the market. It does not overcomplicate things, and I believe that is very essential.
Sure, there are some flaws, like the free version only supporting one format, and limiting videos to 10 minutes, but you can always upgrade.
- The intuitive interface makes it a treat to use.
- Can record webcam video as well.
- You can zoom in while recording.
- The free version only supports one video format and limits the video to ten minutes.
Another amazing screen recorder I would like to add into the list is the Screencast-O-Matic. I know the name sounds like something out of the book of a very alternative person, but do not worry. The software itself is really amazing.
Screencast-O-Matic is an amazing option for everyone who is looking for a screen recording software that will make their experience easier. Although the software is availbale in both the free and paid version, I would suggest that you use the paid version.
- The interface is clean, simple, and easy to navigate.
- Can record both webcam and screen at the same time.
There are some obvious limitations that you will have to face if you choose to go with the free version, but that is understandable, and only fair. However, once you finally pay for the full version, the experience just becomes a lot better.
You get some nice features with the full version, allowing you to fully utilize the software’s potential.
- Comes with plethora of advanced features for proper screen recording.
- Supports picture-in-picture mode as well for streamers.
- The free version works well for those who just want to try things out.
- Videos recorded on the free version have watermark on them.
DVD VideoSoft’s Free Screen Video Recorder
The Free Screen Video Recorder by DVD Videosoft is another great option for people who are just looking for a barebone software that is just there to get the job done. This means that you will not be getting any advanced features whatsoever.
With that in mind, even the interface is barely there. The software is watered dowwn to its core, and after using it for some time, I do not really mind it as it works flawlessly in almost all the conditions.
- Extremely simplified interface.
- Records in multiple formats.
I must say, not everyone is going to like the DVD VideoSoft’s Free Screen Video Recorder, and there are a couple of reasons behind that. Sure, it makes the whole recording process so much easier, but it has a severe lack of advanced features.
For starters, the interface is barely there, and the software does not support picture-in-picture mode; a feature many people still want from modern screen recording software.
- Does not have any learning curve.
- Can record in multiple formats.
- Severe lack of advanced features.
- Does not support picture-in-picture.
iSpring Free Cam
Another great screen recording software, in my opinion, is the iSpring Free Cam, it is free of cost, does not take a lot of resources, and has a lot of nice features that you can use. Sure, against the heavy hitters, you might feel that the software is lacking, but it is not.
Since it is free, you would expect that the videos have a watermark on them, or some sort of time limit. Another great thing about this software is that it does come bundled with a handy editing tool that lets you do some minor editing once you are done recording the video.
- Free, without any time limit or watermark.
- Simple interface that is easy to understand.
Thers are just a few notable features, but you should keep in mind that the iSpring Free Cam lets you record videos in HD and FHD. You can either decide to save the videos locally, or upload them straight to YouTube.
Considering how the software is also free with so many good features, this is nothing less than a bonus, Normally, free software packages come with limitations like watermarks on videos, or video limits, but none of those issues are in the iSpring Free Cam.
While the iSpring Free Cam is definitely a video recording software a lot of people will be using, there are some drawbacks to the otherwise amazing software. For starters, the software does not support picture-in-picture mode. An increasingly popular feature among streamers.
Secondly, while there are no limits to the length of the videos that you can record, but the software limits you by providing only one format to save the video in. Yes, you can only save your recorded videos in WMV format, and nothing more.
This is limiting for people who want the widely used MP4 format, or even some other.
- Free of cost, with minimum limitations.
- Can upload videos straight to YouTube.
- Saves video in 720p or 1080p.
- Does no support picture-in-picture mode.
- Videos are only saved in WMV format.
Screen recording is a feature that should become a natively supported on in Windows. Sadly, it is not; this means that we have to rely on softwares to make that happen. Sure, capture cards exist too, but they are on the expensive side, and not everyone wants to spend that much money.
Sure, capture cards exist too, but they are on the expensive side, and not everyone wants to spend that much money.
Software-based screen recorders for windows work wonderfully; they are easy to use and have a hassle-free experience.
You can buy the premium versions for advanced features, but if you just want essential screen recording, it is done free.