At long last, we have the jailbreak we have been waiting for. Chimera jailbreak from the Electra Development Team has full support for the A12 devices on iOS 12 to iOS 12.1.2, support that has been noticeably missing from previous jailbreaks.
What is Chimera Jailbreak?
Like many of the recent utilities, Chimera is a semi-untethered jailbreak, designed and developed by the Electra jailbreak team, a combination of Coolstar, Alessandro Chiarlitti, Nullpixel and AppleBetas, four well-known developers in their own right. And, written from scratch, built from the ground up, this is the very first real jailbreak we have for iOS 12, in no small part down to the fact that it has support for the latest A12 devices.
The Chimera jailbreak is based on the voucher_swap exploit released by Brandon Azad, a hacker for Google Project Zero. One of its best features is that it has CoreTrust bypass which ensures that users no longer have to continually resign binaries.
Another feature and a significant change are that Cydia is no longer being used as the default package manager. Instead, Chimera makes use of Sileo, a modern alternative to Cydia that was designed with support for the latest devices.
Sileo and Chimera Jailbreak support the following devices:
- iPhone 5S to XS Max
- iPad Mini 2, 3, 4
- iPad Air, Air 2
- iPad 2017, 2018
- iPad Pro 11-inch, 12.9-inch
- iPod Touch 6th Generation
Using Chimera to jailbreak your iPhone is quite simple, and there are two ways to do this. But, before you start, there are a couple of requirements:
- You need a compatible iOS device on iOS 12 to iOS 12.1.2
- You need a computer on Mac, Windows or Linux (for the first method)
- Cydia Impactor
- Strong internet connection
- Chimera IPA file
You must ensure that you are running on the latest iTunes version. Although it isn’t needed to actually jailbreak, Cydia Impactor requires that it is up to date:
- Open iTunes
- Click on Help > Check for Updates
- Follow any directions given by iTunes to update
The last thing to do is back up your data just before you install Chimera.
How to Jailbreak With Chimera:
There are two ways, one with a computer and one without; choose the one that suits you and dig in:
Method 1: Cydia Impactor
- First, download Cydia Impactor onto your computer
- Then download the IPA file ( link above )
- Unlock your iPhone or iPad and connect it to your PC, Mac or Linux computer
- Open Cydia Impactor and wait; it needs to detect your device
- When it has, drag the IAP file over to Cydia impactor
- Type your Apple user name and password and press Enter
- Wait while Cydia Impactor signs and installs Chimera to your iPhone or iPad
- Once you see the jailbreak on your home screen, unplug your device
- Now open your iOS Settings device and go to General
- Tap on Profiles and Device Management
- Tap on the developer name or your Apple ID and tap on Trust
- Now close the Settings app and go back to your home screen
- Open Chimera and tap on the Jailbreak button
- Be patient; this may take a few minutes. When you see the Reboot Required message on your screen, go ahead and reboot – the jailbreak has been successful
- If, however, your device restarts before all steps are completed, it hasn’t been successful; go back to step 9 and repeat the following steps until it works.
- Once you have rebooted and you see the Sileo icon, the jailbreak is complete
Method 2: No Computer Needed
- On your iPhone or iPad, open your Safari browser and go to https://emus4u.app
- Go to Apps and tap on Jailbreaks
- Tap on Chimera and then tap Get
- Wait; when you see the prompt on your device, tap n Install and wait
- When Chimera has been installed, open your Settings app
- Go to General > Profiles and tap Emus4U enterprise name – if it isn’t there, look for the untrusted certificate and tap on that
- Use the app switcher to shut down all open apps, and open Chimera form your home screen
- Tap on Jailbreak and wait for the steps to complete
- Reboot your device, and when you see “Jailbroken” on the screen, the jailbreak has been successful.
How to Rejailbreak:
Because Chimera is semi-untethered, the certificate will be revoked after a set period of time – for a free Apple ID that will only be 7 days. And that means having to resign it so, here’s how to do that:
- Delete Chimera from your device
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer
- Open Cydia Impactor and drag the IPA file over again – if a later one has been released in the meantime, download it and use that one
- Reinput your Apple ID and wait for it to be loaded
- Open the app, press Jailbreak and do it over again
Known Chimera Issues:
At the time of writing, there is one main with Chimera jailbreak, and we address both of them here:
This is down to there not being support for some tweaks on the A12 devices – most of the tweaks do not have a working preference bundle in Chimera jailbreak, and some users are also struggling to get the Rocket Bootstrap package installed using Sileo. When you attempt to get into the preferences section for a tweak, you are given an error message telling you there was an error loading the preference bundle.
The easiest way to fix this is to install the recently released update to Cephai, and we’re going to show you how.
Do NOT try this on any device other than an A12 device – if you do, your setup is going to break.
- Launch Sileo on your device and go to the Packages section
- Tap on Sources and then tap Edit > Add
- We need to add a new repository here for Ryan Petrich so type in the following URL as written: https://rpetri.ch/repo
- Tap on Add and let the repository be installed
- Respring and open Sileo once more
- Open Packages again and look for where it says Date – tap the button beside it
- Open the tab that says Developer – because this tweak is aimed at the developers, not general users, and it is hidden away in this tab
- Now add another source to Sileo – NepetaDev – by following the steps above and typing in the URL, https://nepeta.me
- Open the source, find and install the Cephai Debian package
- Reboot your device and open Chimera from the home page
- Tap on the jailbreak button and jailbreak your device once more.
After these steps, the PreferenceLoader will work again, and you should see your tweaks in your Settings app. If a tweak does not appear, the likelihood is, the developer hasn’t yet updated it to support iOS 12. In this instance, you will need to be patient and wait. While many tweaks have been updated, some developers simply haven’t gotten around to it yet and should do soon.
Chimera jailbreak is being well received already, especially given the fact that the newer devices are now supported along with the latest iOS versions.
Try Chimera, and it’s easy enough to install and follow us on Facebook for more jailbreak news.