So-called file manager apps litter the app store, but not one of them offers true management facilities. The simple reason for that is, Apple doesn’t want you having that much access to the iOS file system, and they certainly don’t want you to be able to modify it in any way. That means the apps that get let into the app store are minimal in what they offer, and that is why so many people chose to jailbreak, to download a file manager called iFile. These days, you don’t need to jailbreak to download a really useful file manager called Filza.
What is Filza File Manager?
Developed by Tigi Software, Filza file manager offers a full file management service to users. With full support for iOS 12, Filza is a file explorer that works on both jailbroken and non-jailbroken iOS devices. It is a powerful app, the one app you should be using if you want file management facilities. It offers several useful features too, including:
- Tweaking and Modding – Filza allows you to edit system values on your device to change how the user interface looks. You can change the size and shape of the icons, the fonts, colors, etc., all in-app and without needing a tweak of any kind.
- App Downgrading – with Filza file manager, you can easily downgrade your apps to older versions just by making changes to registry values and strings. Not everyone likes the newer versions of some apps, not least because they are using older devices, and the updates don’t work so well. With Filza, you don’t need to worry because you can go back to a version that did work for you and doesn’t demand so much from your hardware.
- Tweak Installation – With Filza, you can also download Debian packages in the same way that Cydia allowed you to. That means you can now install some of your favorite tweaks easily. Right now, that feature I supported up to and including iOS 11 but we are hoping that a future update will bring in support for iOS 12.
How to Download Filza File Manager on iOS
There are three methods to downloading this – one for jailbroken devices and two for those who don’t want to jailbreak. Have a read through the guides and chose the method that you like the look of.
Method 1: Cydia Impactor
For this, you are going to install the IPA file onto your device using a tool called Cydia Impactor.
- Download Cydia Impactor onto your Mac or PC
- Download the Filza IPA file onto your Mac or PC and save it onto your desktop
- Open Cydia Impactor and then plug in your iPhone or iPad
- When Cydia Impactor tells you your device has been detected, find and drag the IPA file into the tool
- Put your Apple ID and password in and wait
- Cydia Impactor will now sideload the file onto your device, and you will see it appear on your home screen
Before You Use It
When you tap the file manager icon on your home screen, you will likely get an Untrusted Developer error message. This is easy to solve:
- Open your Settings app and tap on General
- Go to Profiles and tap on the app name or your Apple ID in the list
- Tap on Trust and close Settings
- Now you can use Filza File Manager without any trouble.
Method 2: With a Jailbreak
To use the jailbreak version of Filza, you need a fully functional jailbreak, such as the latest Chimera Jailbreak utility. Whichever jailbreak you are using if it does not have a package manager such as Cydia or Sileo installed, this won’t work.
- Jailbreak your device if you haven’t already
- Open Cydia or Sileo
- Tap on Sources
- Tap on Edit > Add and add the following source – http://tigisoftware.com/cydia/
- When your device resprings open Cydia/Sileo again and tap on Search
- Type in Filza and tap the result
- Tap Install and Filza will be installed to your device
Do NOT try to download this via any other third-party source as you may be downloading an older, unstable and unsafe version.
Method 3: Using TutuApp
The third way is to install a third-party app installer called TutuApp. This is an alternative app store that offers thousands of modified apps, games, tweaks, and more, all for free and no jailbreak needed.
- From your Safari browser, visit the TutuApp VIP page
- Tap on the download link and follow the instructions to install it
- Open TutuApp from your home screen and search for Filza
- Tap the result, tap on Install and wait for the app to show up on your home screen
Filza App Features
With Filza, you are getting every possible management feature you could possibly want. For a start, you can see all these file types on your iPhone or iPad:
- Compressed formats
- Apple iWork
- Microsoft files
- Web Archive
Where your software and multimedia files are concerned, you can do all the following with them:
- Move and rename them
- Copy and paste
- Modify text and property lists, such as configuration files
- Pack and unpack any compressed file format
- Install .deb files easily
- Move music files to your iPod library easily
And moving files on and off your device is also simple, with all these methods included:
- Use the built-in web server to download or upload using a network drive or a browser
- Using FTP and Dropbox file services
- Use Bluetooth – the recipient must also be running Filza
- Easily mount .dmg files
With integration built-in for AttachmentSaver, Safari Download Manager and Celeste Bluetooth Sharing, Filza truly is one of the most versatile file managers ever released, far better than anything you can download from the official iOS app store.
With a choice of download methods, just about anyone can install and use Fila file manager now, whether you have a jailbreak or not and if you opt for method 3, using TutuApp third-party installer you also get loads of other great content to choose from.
Give it a go, see how you get on with Filza file manager and follow us on Facebook for more updates.