If you don’t have a webcam or your webcam just doesn’t work, then do you want to know how to use your iPhone as an HD webcam on your computer?
Using this method, you can take full advantage of your iPhone’s Pro camera system (Telephoto, Wide, and Ultra Wide) while saving time and money on buying a new webcam.
If you are a teacher and need your students to see you and your presentation during online classes, the iPhone can also be used as a flexible webcam. If you are a gamer, the iPhone can also be used for live streaming without restrictions.
In this article, we will explain how to use your iPhone as a webcam to do all these above on your computer.
What You Need to Prepare Before Turning Your iPhone into a Webcam?
With proper preparation, you can quickly connect your iPhone camera to your computer. Let’s see what you should prepare before you start.
- An iPhone. iPhone 6s and later, in iOS 13 or above.
- A computer. Windows: Windows 7 and above; Mac: macOS 11 and above.
- Wifi or USB cable is required to connect your iPhone webcam to the computer.
- An iPhone webcam application like FineCam that installs the webcam driver enables your computer to recognize your iPhone device’s face and rear camera.
- Prepare a phone stand so you don’t have to hold your phone all the time when you take video calls.
How to Turn Your iPhone into a Webcam for PC
If you have an urgent online meeting that requires a product demonstration, but your computer’s camera captures a blurry picture of the product with no detail. If you’re teaching online, but your students can’t even see what’s on the whiteboard behind you.
When you encounter these situations and don’t have time to get a new computer, then you can use your iPhone as a webcam with the help of webcam software, which takes just a few simple steps.
Wouldn’t it be perfect to solve your urgent need and save you a lot of time and money at the same time? If you have a spare iPhone, iPad, or GoPro, you can use it directly as a fixed computer webcam, which will greatly enhance your efficiency for remote work.
Detailed steps on how to set up iPhone as a webcam for Windows
Step 1. Download and install FineCam on your Windows computer and iPhone.
Visit the FineCam official website on your computer to download the FineCam for Windows. Then go to App Store and install FineCam. Run FineCam on your PC and iPhone.
Step 3. Connect your iPhone to your computer.
You can connect your phone to your computer via a USB cable. When two devices are on the same Wi-Fi network conditions, you can connect via Wi-Fi.
Now, when you use video software such as Teams, Google Meet, Discord, etc., select FineCam as the virtual camera source, and what everyone else in the meeting sees is what you capture through your phone’s camera. You can also take screenshots and record videos of everything captured through your phone, like presentations and tutorials.
How to Turn Your iPhone into a Webcam for Mac Computer
At WWDC 2022, June 6, Apple released a new feature for macOS Ventura called “Continuity Camera”, which allows you to use your iPhone as a powerful webcam for your Mac. By bringing your iPhone close to your Mac, it can capture your desktop and your face at the same time wirelessly. The new feature goes live on September 7th, so stay tuned.
However, for Apple users whose devices can’t meet the minimum system requirements (macOS Ventura, iOS 16), or who can’t wait to try this feature, it’s wise to choose a free webcam app like FineCam.
Let’s see how to use FineCam on Mac:
The process is very similar to the one on Windows computers.
Step 1: First download and install its iOS app. Open FineCam and allow it to access your microphone and camera.
Step 2: Then download FineCam for Mac.
Step 3: Send a connection request on your iPhone to your Mac.
Step 4. After the request is accepted on your Mac, your iPhone webcam will be connected. And on your Mac, you can preview and adjust the videos you captured from your iPhone camera.
How to Turn Your iPhone into a Webcam for OBS Studio or Streamlab
The iPhone 6s HD camera is capable of recording video at up to 4K at 30fps, while the iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 14, and iPhone 14 Pro can even record Dolby Vision HDR video at up to 4K at 60fp. So it’s a good idea to use the iPhone’s rear camera as a webcam to record video on OBS or Streamlabs.
To use iPhone as a webcam for a PC, just follow the above methods depending on your computer system. And you need two more steps to set it as a webcam source for OBS. Enable the Virtual Camera feature by clicking the blue button next to Record on the upper-right of your image. And last, launch OBS Studio, add a scene and then a video capture source, and select FineShare FineCam, which allows you to use your iPhone as a webcam for OBS.
How to Set Up an iPhone Webcam?
Now you know how to connect, set up, and use your iPhone as a webcam, there are several ways to help you look good in the list of video feeds for the most popular video conferencing, streaming, and calling apps.
- To get the best picture quality, you’d better use iPhone’s rear camera because it has more pixels than the front camera.
- A well-lit environment is important. When you are in a meeting or on the phone, don’t be in a dark or backlit area.
- Use some cool iPhone webcam apps, which allow you to choose options such as video resolution, AI enhancement, filters, flip, and chroma key to make you look even better in meetings.
- If you don’t have time to clean up your room for a web conference, you can blur or remove webcam background.
- If you often need to hold video conferences or Internet classes, then you need a phone stand to ensure that your picture is stable, which can both free your hands and relax your neck, a fixed shooting angle can also give a professional impression.
Now, as you know how to use your iPhone as a webcam, you can try FineCam to turn your presentations and meetings into creative events with the help of its very interesting additional features.